Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Fight

I'm sorry I've been absent. My heart has been heavy. Me and Tiffany had a fight and for a while I wasn't sure we were going to make it through. It started from nothing -- a comment about dirty dishes -- and worked its way into one of the biggest fights we've had.

We've been together for ten years now and I thought we'd worked through our kinks, but I suppose now that the kids are grown and off to college we have to get used to it just being us. It's never been just the two of us.

She joked about doing the dishes after she'd cooked. If she cooks I'll usually do the dishes, but I'd had a long day and didn't have it in me to do the simplest of chores. I was short and took her joking too seriously and suddenly a joke became a disagreement, which rolled right along into a full blown fight.

She accused me of being selfish, I accused her of the same and worse. I needed a break, one night off; she needed to feel appreciated. We yelled, no one listened, doors were slammed and car wheels screeched out of the driveway. We lost each other in those moments and we lost sight of anything outside of our own needs.

I stayed away for over a week; I ignored her calls, texts, and emails. I was ashamed of my behavior and the pain I'd caused Tiffany. She didn't deserve the things I said. All my old insecurities flooded back and suddenly my angel had fallen to the darkest parts of hell. But really, I'd fallen into the darkness; unable to claw my way out, I immersed myself in it and shut out my angel's light.

But our love is strong and eventually we were able to see each other again, to see the truth of who we are and the love we share. We fell back into each other and have come out stronger for what we endured.

No comments:

Post a Comment