Sunday, February 28, 2010

Media Messages

Hey Cuddlebug, I'm in here with the kids. Tiffany works so hard. She's on her way home. I'm glad. She's my best friend. My wife. I'm excited we're going to have some family time today. Nothing too big for us. The kids want to watch a movie. We believe in earning movies here. Television is not our family's primary source of entertainment. We monitor the children's media exposure. Our children are not allowed to watch television by themselves. I know it sounds a bit extreme or overbearing. I'm not saying they won't ever watch television by themselves, and maybe our way of doing this may lead them to be more interested in television because of this restriction, but I am concerned about the influence. We are raising our children. We are not going to stand by and allow the television to raise our kids. All of the things a television shows, that's input. It can influence their behavior. I'm going to continue to watch television with my children. Yes, they have selection and we evaluate their choices together. Programs they choose that are not suitable for viewing are delayed until they are the proper age to watch them. The most interesting thing about the selections (most of the things) they choose to watch are funny or educational program, cartoons and documentaries. You're going to love your niece and nephew.

This brings me to the troubling part of this blog; your YouTube message. I don't really do this Internet thing. Your message came at a time for me of great optimism. Your diary had just been published. I felt publishing your diary would bring you home without any trouble. I don't want you to go to jail. I want you to get help. We have been advised that you can receive help. This is my wish for the complex situation.

I got a call from a friend saying, "to look at this YouTube message." I saw the address and I instantly thought it was part it was some sort of promotion for the book. I wrote Tshombe and asked him did they put the YouTube up? He told me he hadn't seen it yet but he could confirm that the publishing company had nothing to do with the YouTube message. I wondered if there was some sort of prank. I went to the site and viewed it. I was horrified. It wasn't it your face but I knew it was you. I know you anywhere, Cuddlebug.

The way you looked on that video brought me to bring new realization I never wanted to comprehend. Cuddlebug… It's possible that you're responsible for the things you wrote about in your diary. It's possible your words printed on those pages are more than just a cry for help. They seem like a confession.

I've always discounted the possibility that you are responsible for those occurrences because how could a teenage girl your size have done things like that? The way you acted after your parent's car went off the road in that horrible accident did not match what you wrote in your diary. I told Tshombe and I told the police that only a few entries with my name had any validity. I cried and cried when I read the whole story. I told them that you must have been brainwashed or forced to do something, but after seeing that video, I'm not sure. I still love you. The Cuddlebug I know is written in those first pages. Sometimes I wonder if I was ever in danger. Your brother never had a friend named Erick that I knew of.

I haven't given up hope that you will contact me again. I haven't condemned you and I haven't given up on you. I believe in you, Cuddlebug. I know you are still good at heart and your nature is as pure as if you never laid eyes on a television. You're not evil. I cannot read these those words and believe you're evil. I don't believe it. I just don't. I'm still waiting on you Cuddlebug. Whenever you decide to come back home, I will be here to greet you with open arms. Whatever happens, we will figure it out together. Love you Sarah. Miss you. TTYL.

No comments:

Post a Comment